Saturday, September 17, 2005

Music
Well, I bought a DVD called Playback. It's a collection of some of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers greatest hits. I will say this, it doesn't disappoint. A couple of the videos (Change of Heart, Here Comes My Girl, and Insider) were pretty straight forward concepts of the band playing in a room or a concert, other videos wound a whole story for us to follow (Into The Great Wide Open, and Yer So Bad) and some didn't even make any sense (You Got Lucky and Runnin Down A Dream). But they all had one crucial thing in common, they were Tom Petty, therefore, they rocked. I've been on kind of a Tom Petty break as of late, but thanks to Melissa Ethridge's horrible slow watered-down version of Refugee came to the radio waves, I had to dig out my Heartbreaker CDs and hear the original in all its greatness. I'm snooping around now for his Into The Great Wide Open and I've put it on hold at the library so can see if I like it or not. One thing that Tom Petty's done that I think has appealed to me the most is that he is able to stay consistently good and steady throughout his career. The new and old songs don't differ a heck of a lot in style, and he doesn't try anything weird *cough* Neil Young, trans *cough*.
Movies
Yet again, you'll have to bare with me because I don't get out a lot and haven't seen any new movies in ages. However, I did buy a movie I've been meaning to pick up for awhile now. It's called The Rules Of Attraction. It stars James Vanderbeek, for Dawson's Creek. This is a strange comedy. It ties together the lives of 5 people going to college. This has very good acting, and the plot is interesting. This is not one of those teen movies you see all the time because believe me, I would never waste my time writing about one. It's about your usual college love stories, but a bunch of neat twists. I don't like giving away plots, so I won't say anything. In my opinion, it's a very good movie with surprisingly good acting from unlikely roles.
Books
Well, I finally read the DaVinci's Code. In my opinion, it was a great book, but it didn't vary a lot from Angels and Demons. I could even recognize some of the pot twists as being identical. I don't really see why this novel raised a bunch of hell, but Angels and Demons did not. Anyways, back to the book. It was again, about a topic I could not resist, uncovering the churches dirty little secrets. This time the topic up for debate is the true nature of the holy grail. The know what I mean, you'll just have to read the book. Dan Brown also bring elements from his novel Digital Fortress. There is a lot of code breaking and cryptology. I think Dan Brown must have studied this because it's popped up a lot. He uses his knowledge to make you believe every word that comes out., much in the same way Tom Clancy uses his military know-how to describe various things, but not nearly as boring. Anyways, another great book from a very promising author, just don't expect anything too different from Angels and Demons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home